Friday, December 07, 2007

Ice; or Sadness Embodied

As we approach middle age, there are some life lessons we have come to appreciate. Don't drink the Whole Thing, staying out until 4 a.m. makes it hard to wake up at 8 a.m. and go to work, use sunscreen.

What they don't teach you in your financial aid exit interview or similar faux-adult rite of passage is that you should not fall down on a patch of ice. Ever. It is like automatically adding 5 years to your age. My back is a jangly jangle of knots and sharp pains, I cut my hand. It's almost too sad.

While I know that this is an isolated and violent experience that does not actually signify my decent into elderliness, I feel somehow that this is a harbinger of things to come. What will happen, for example, if I tried to go to the gym? or hike a mountain? or live through 2.5 weeks at home for Christmas*? I could die. I could be laid up for weeks, unable to move, or make jokes, or watch 30 Rock on nbc.com.

Good God, this life is a cruel one.



* kidding, hi parents!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home