Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Odyssey begins

The future holds many exciting things for all of us, I am sure. Someday, Heidi will be in Congress and Jon will be the next Josh Lyman/Donna Moss, depending on his attitude that particular day; Mel will run her own party-planning and child-saving business, Margo will have made out with brad Pitt, and Anna will make films that star Vanessa Redgrave. I believe in the resiliancy of the human spirit, and the lyric "ain't no mountain high enough." Seriously, if George W. Bush can own a baseball team then I can do something meaningful and fullfilling, right?
Right...
Today, the quest begins. Well, actually, it started a long time ago, and was formalized over the weekend. Graduate School. To be specific a Master's in Public Policy with a concentration in International Relations (not sex trafficking, but thanks), West Africa (Liberia, Sierra Leone), and Peace and Conflict Studies (an actual academic discipline). I invite you to join me on this most perillous of journeys.
The Plan has many parts, the most important of which is moral support. Every day, I wake up and think about whether or not I am capable of accomplishing this goal that I have cxreated myself; and everyday, I think "No, you idiot! You can't even file your own taxes!" And therefore, everyday, I request that my fragile ego be stroked. Part 2: the GRE. This is a mountain less steep than it is muddy and covered in poison oak. But I will navigate the irritation and the mindlessness of it all to acheive its heights. And I will do so by studying my GRE practice book from the Princeton Review (the suckers who did not help me improve my SAT scores; oh, wait. That makes me the sucker. Hmm.) at the gym several (between 1 and 4) times a week. Seeing as how I haven't gone to the gym, for which I pay a whopping $50 a month, in like four months, this is doubly tough, but doubly rewarding. Plus the soap in the gym showers smells like coconuts. Delicious coconuts. The most important thing I've learned so far is the "the week before the GRE is not a time to drastically change anything: don't quit smoking, dont start smoking, don't quit coffee, don't start coffee, don't start a relationship, don't end a relationship. The week before the GRE needs to be smooth sailing." Tell me about it. Part 3: the actual Applications and everything else. This is not a part I have actually tried to tackle yet, but I'm getting there. An update will be provided as soon as my pop-up window blocker on Firefox crashes the Yale application site, and I loose weeks worth of personal statements and rec letters.
So, anyway, so far I have:
1 rec letter promised (from the dreamy Dr. Hall)
1 Graduate School Fair attended (thank Jon)
3 school application websites unsuccessfully navigated (Yale, Kennedy School of Government and The Ford School at the University of Michigan)
2 supportive parents, who may foot the bill for the test fees and application costs
1 panic attack (last night, as the Yale sitestarted to look like the third circle of hell)
22.4 miles on the stationary bike
10 analogy problems completed, 7 right

It's like I'm half-way there.
Pray for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home